Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Marangu Waterfall and misc.

Last weekend I ventured outside of Arusha city for the first time. Two of my volunteer friends were transferred to a hospital in Marangu (about two hours north of Arusha). By coach bus and daladala, a hiking guide, another volunteer, and I traveled to Marangu. It was one of the most rejuvenating moments stepping off of the daladala in this jungle-like town. There were banana and acacia trees everywhere--just being removed from the business of city-life and surrounded by nature was incredibly therapeutic. Marangu is located at the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro. It is also the home of the Chagga tribe. Our group hiked all day, stopping to pick guava and avocados along the way to the waterfall. I will be happily returning to Marangu this weekend to attend a wedding ceremony. This town (though 2 hours away) feels like the ideal place to re-center.

Working at St. Elizabeths hospital is extremely rewarding. As I mentioned, there are two Belgian doctors working at the facility until this Friday. They are working for an organization called Medics without vacation. Primarily they came to this hospital to survey what will be needed for future visits. Unfortunately, due to lack of equipment, the doctors are only able to perform tonsil and adnoidectomies. Chronic hearing and eye problems cannot be treated until the future. Because this hospital lacks specialized doctors, the 2 foreign docs want to train the St. Elizabeth staff on how to recognize chronic illnesses. By doing so, the Belgian docs will not have to waste their time on consultations and will have a list of patients to perform surgeries on. Typically, the 2 doctors performed about 6 surgeries per day and also conducted post-operation rounds. Because they are in Arusha for a short period, I spent most of my time translating and interacting with the patients before and after surgeries. I have loved developing relationships with the hospital staff and patients. This experience has made me seriously consider becoming a nurse or MD in the future!

I think the people of Sekei are finally accepting me as a member of their village. Although children still scream "Mzungu!!," adults and kids my age greet me by my name and enjoy talking to me. I have become friends with many of the shopowners and my neighbors. I cooked dinner for my friend Dixon and his family last week. Dixon, my friend Danielle, and I went to Central Market and bought as many vegetables as we could carry home. Although Tanzanians eat a lot of cooked veggies, eating salad is not common. Danielle and I decided to introduce RAW vegetables into Dixon's family's diet. Over a charcoal fire (which is illegal by the way), we cooked rice and peas and vegetables. We also made a salad (minus the lettuce) and bought cooked beans from Dixon's sister Lilly's restaurant. Chopping vegetables and cooking rice without power is quite the experience. Dinner was a success (with plenty of leftovers). One of the babies did not know how to eat raw veggies and started licking the chopped carrots!

Today it is beautiful outside! I am going to spend my day EXPLORING. I am venturing to the craft market to bargain for a birthday present and central market to buy mangos (tis the season!).

I miss you all very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment