Monday, November 30, 2009

a nurse, a wedding, and teaching

November and December are two of the busiest months for clinical officers at St. Elizabeths. Doctors begin their work day at 7AM with morning prayer and ward rounds and have full schedules of outpatient procedures and surgeries until late evening. Because most doctors are too busy to breath, I have focused my attention and trainings on the nurses and pharmacists. I have become dear friends with a woman named Alodia. Alodia is a RN who specializes in pregnancies. Like many nurses, Alodia left her home country (Rwanda) to find available work in TZ. Alodia has four children who live in Rwanda with her brother-in-law. After her husband died, Alodia was forced to marry his brother. From what I can gather, the brother is extremely cruel; he forced Alodia to leave her home and children and refuses to support the children's education fees. Due to her situation, Alodia wires all of her earnings (50, 000 TSH per month) to her children's schools and is living in poverty without daily meals or a suitable home. I pray for Alodia and her children every day--for Alodia's health, for her children's safety and education, and for their reunion. Alodia calls me her "first born daughter" and I have truly grown to love her as my surrogate mother. I spend a few hours in her office every day teaching her how to communicate via email with her children. She also is teaching me invaluable lessons about pregnancies, HIV positive mothers and babies, faith, and the strong bond that can never be broken between a parent and their child.

This weekend I attended a wedding for one of the doctors at my hospital. The celebration was held at a night club in Arusha. Like the first wedding, all of the party members were incredibly welcoming and appreciative for my attendance; I congratulated the bride and groom by dancing in a line formation to the podium; I witnessed the serving of the "cake" or goat between the bride and groom. Every wedding, however, is unique. Many doctors and nurses from St. Elizabeths contributed to the cost of the celebration. There were tables and chairs for over 200 guests, an endless supply of food and drinks, a photographer who sold guests' portraits at the end of the wedding, and even a handicap professional dancer (which I found particularly disturbing).

Along with the wedding, I went hiking in a Massai village called Mulala. I hiked with 2 volunteers and 2 guides named Elli and Godfrey. We hiked to Elli's home and ate lunch with his family. I have ventured on excursions with Elli on previous occasions and love his company. He teaches us about various plants and animals and more importantly Massai culture. Elli directly supports his village and other Massai families by taking hikers to Massai homes for lunch. Also, many of the proceeds that Elli earns are donated to Massai cultural heritage.

On Sunday, I learned how to cook chapati! I am so blessed to be working with a man named Tom. He has welcomed me and 1 other volunteer to his home every Sunday to cook an African FEAST and to dance and sing and play the bongo drums. Two of Tom's roommates work for a well-known orphanage in town called St. Jude's. This orphanage was started by an Australian woman and has developed into one of the most unique primary and secondary schools in Arusha. Unlike most TZ schools, St. Jude's offers elective classes like art and music (both of which are taught by Tom's roommates). It also uses SCHOOL buses to transport children to classes every morning.

Speaking of school, I am teaching at a day camp or health club this week. Due to Christmas holiday, many of the students are available during the day time. GSC is taking this free time to their advantage and having me teach a class of 35 students at a secondary school called Lemara. Today was my first day ever teaching alone! Although more energy and effort are exerted, it is rewarding to be the solo provider of information. Tomorrow is World's AIDS Day so day camp will continue on Wednesday. I am excited to work at the stadium tomorrow for the holiday. Hundreds of people (mostly students) will participate in a variety of performances to spread awareness of AIDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment